If you are moving in 2016, do not procrastinate! Set some New Year’s resolutions around your move. People tend to delay many items on this list, so get them done ahead of time if possible and keep them in mind when planning your move.
- Start looking for a moving company early. JK recommends getting three in-home estimates from reputable moving companies to acquaint yourself with their pricing and service quality.
- Measure furniture, and ensure it will fit in the new home.
- Clear at least three boxes-worth of storage by donating or recycling. Removing excess items will save you money during the move, and allows you to get rid of some needless items.
- Use at least two of JK’s moving hacks to cut the cost and time spent on your move.
- Pack all of your own clothing. Packing is a drag, but clothes are the easiest items to pack and are also fairly personal. Packing them yourself saves time and money, and is not as difficult as packing dishes or electronics.
- Keep a list of all items you are moving, and check them off as you unpack them. This will ensure that no items are missing or left behind. If your movers are doing the packing, they will provide an inventory list for your record.
- If you select new doctors, transfer your medical records prior to moving.
- File a change-of-address form with the U.S. Postal Service two weeks prior to the move. You can conveniently submit the form online.
- Use that gym membership!